New Faces New Places

Welcome to the New

New Faces New Places

[Image credit: Makky Fung]

iPhone user: Siri, what is your best pick-up line?

Siri: You auto-complete me.

Confession: I liked Clippy, the Microsoft Office Assistant that would pop up and observe, “You look like you’re writing a letter. Would you like some help?” The puppy avatar, occasionally yawning or panting, was a welcome presence during many a university all-night writing session.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/08/bill-gates-apologies_n_3997720.html

[Image credit: Huffington Post]

Computer analytics have come a long way. More recently, Facebook and Google compiled unbidden Highlights of 2014 photo albums for users. Some appreciated it, but others found it intrusive and creepy that Facebook and Google+  would have the audacity to decide for their customers which moments were worth remembering or forgetting.

Google logo eyes

[Image credit: sheperdofthestars on funnyjunk]

Apple honed auto-complete for the Apple Watch, making it easier to respond to, “Hey, should we have Thai or Mexican for dinner tonight?” by teaching Quickboard to recognize and include “Thai” and “Mexican” as suggested responses. Impressive or intrusive?

smart-watch-821563_1280

[Image credit: fancycrave1 on pixabay]

While these services allow us to get more things done with less time and effort, they also require less thought from us.  Modern computer analytics leave Clippy in the dust, gleaning myriad information from our day-to-day digital doings. As a teacher and dad, I wonder what auto-complete means for the thoughtful work of research and writing. When I plug, “Why does Atticus…” into Google, I don’t need to finish typing his name before Google suggests many of the questions I once asked of my Grade 8 English students when we studied To Kill a Mockingbird.  Students didn’t need to look far for the same questions and answers when they wrote (or didn’t write) their essays for me.

Why does atticus

[Image credit: David Larson]

(That was a few years ago, and my response then was to come up with new questions and new ways for students to answer my questions. Occasionally I got smarter and asked students to come up with their own questions and their own ways of answering them, with better results.)

Prediction: Auto-complete continues to approach ubiquity, making life easier and saving us time, effort, and thought.

It is because technology makes life easier – and because easier isn’t always better – that CDNIS pushes Digital Learning that is active, valued, visible, connected and progressive. While Digital Learning is embedded from one end of our through-train to another, this year we have more tools at our fingertips:

• OneDoor – the Digital Learning hub for hardware, software, and curricular support and creation
    • Two maker spaces – On 7F and 14F, room and opportunity to tinker, revise, and improvise
    • 3D printer – See it in action in OneDoor
    • Large format printer – G10 Careers/Design infographics are just the beginning
    • iPad rollout in G1 – For enabled, engaged, and empowered learners
    • Macbook rollout in G4 – to support reflection, feedback, ownership and conceptual depth for students
    • Edmodo – Wider blended learning opportunities for Lower School

This site – Digital Learning – is a place for our creative community to learn from, challenge, and encourage each other as we spend our time, effort, and thought purposefully. It’s the story of the anti-auto-complete.

teacher/learner

[Image credit: ibby Levi on OpenSource.com]