The Student View: iFolios and Learning

The Student View: iFolios and Learning

If it’s updated regularly, your blog will end up being a beautiful smooth spectrum of your learning process…. That journey isn’t seen in report card grades, since they only show how good you are at something rated on a scale.

There are many things you can call our iFolios. A reflection. A record. A journey. A timestamp. An album.

I’m the kind of person who likes collecting little treasures, and I love looking back in my old red portfolios and old art projects. So as I was looking through my blog archives, and found my first official post to be about a fifth grade project I had done (that is five years ago) where we had to come up with our own invention, and in my fifth grade mind, I had invented a device I called the “Auto-Messenger”. The link to the presentation sadly isn’t available anymore, but I remember a bit about it. I said that my super cool original invention is a phone, where you can video call people, and had some other functions I don’t really remember. Back then, I thought this was fascinating and completely light years away. And look at us now? We can easily do that with a tap of our fingers.

Digital Storytelling LTC 28Oct2015

We can see how fast things have changed, and we can witness the change, like that blog post I had. In five years, we have managed to create amazing technology. And with proof in my iFolio, in five years, I have finally learned how to understand poems, write poems, as well as analyse them. That journey isn’t seen in report card grades, since they only show how good you are at something rated on a scale. iFolios are like timestamps. They are a record of thoughts and how you have progressed as a person. It’s basically a photo album.

IB is also quite interested in the process, not only the final product (as I have learned from my Personal Project this year), so here is  an example.

Example 1: The first generation iPod shuffle vs. iPhone 6s. Now how on Earth did Apple get to this point?

iPod shuffle to iPhone 6.001

Image sources :Matthieu Riegler, Wikimedia Commons [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons (iPod Shuffle) and Bestboyzde, https://www.flickr.com/photos/bestboyzde/21072930403 (iPhone 6)

Example 2: The first to fifth generation iTouch. These iTouches have more of a steady progression.

ipod touch models

Image source: BuyMyTronics.com, http://www.buymytronics.com/blog/post/2010/09/21/What-Kind-of-iPod-Touch-do-I-Have.aspx

What the iFolio so greatly does is that if it’s updated regularly, your blog will end up being a beautiful smooth spectrum of your learning process, like the second example. But if iFolios aren’t updated often, they will end up like example one, from a first generation iPod Shuffle to an iPhone.

What is great about the primary students is that they write on their iFolios more regularly than Upper School students do. If I am correct, they write about visitors that come in, projects that they’ve done, about their music instruments and their hobbies. These aren’t really things that the Upper School body often writes about. The Lower School is doing great in promoting more of an interest in blogging.